Monday, June 15, 2009

Vazhakkai Podimas/Plantain Podimas

This is my Dh's favourite dish.

When it comes to choices in cuisine,his priority is always the traditional Tamil food.

He is the one who made this dish and my job was the toughest->clicking the picture and ofcourse eating!!!!!
It was yummy!!!!!He found this recipe in an old tamil brahmin recipe book.


Ingredients:

Plantains/Vazhakkai - 4
Chopped Ginger - 1 tsp
Juice of half a lemon
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Grated coconut -1/4 cup
Green chillies -3
Mustardseeds -1tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
A sprig of curry leaves
Oil- 2Tbsp


Method:


Trim the ends of the plantain and chop it into 3 pieces.

Immerse the plantains in a pan of water and boil them for a few minutes.To this water add little bit of turmeric powder and salt.

Cook till the plantains are just soft.

Peel the skin and crumble them.

In a kadai,heat 3 tbsp of oil.Add mustard seeds.When they splutter add urad dal.
When the urad dhal turns brown add the ginger,curry leaves and chillies.

Then add the grated coconut and the crumbled plantain.

Saute for some time.Check for salt.

Finally add juice of half of a lemon. Turn off the heat.

This is a good accompaniment for rice mixed with Rasam.

16 comments:

Pooja said...

hi ramya just stumbled on ur blog.. u have a lovely bog with great recipes ! thanx for sharing !

Anonymous said...

wow i love podimaas! I invite you to participate in global ganesha food festival
http://didolivescooks.wordpress.com/dlc-food-festival/
The sooner you post the more exposure for your recipes,
See u there!

Unknown said...

Thanx pooja for visiting my blog and for u'r valuable comments..I really appreciate that

Unknown said...

Thanx divya for visiting my blog..I wud luv to participate in u'r blog event.

foodcreate said...

This dish made a huge impression on me.
Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com

Have a Great Day!

Unknown said...

Hi

Iam so glad u liked it..

eshoboshoaahare.blogspot.in said...

Hi Ramya... lovely dish... very new to me...Hope it should go well as breakfast... and you have the good collection of recipes too... lovely...

Unknown said...

Hi pinky
Thanx for visiting my blog..This dish is a side for Rice and its a lunch spl dear..

Nithya Praveen said...

My fav one too...i love any kinda podimaas....aloo being the best one.Lovely one:)

Unknown said...

Thanx Nithya for visiting my blog.Aloo is my fave too..Infact i luv potatoes in any form

Sunshinemom said...

I love vazhakkai podimas too. Very nicely done:).

kittymatti said...

So true..its the same for me... even my first pref is simple tamil brahmin food..

Tell yr hubby that he has done a great job!
Your photography is fabulous

You have an awesome space here and mouthwatering recipes too!!!

Unknown said...

hi kittymatti
Thanx a lot for visiting my blog and u'r bunch of appreciations for all my recipes..
Will surely tell my hubby..

Unknown said...

Hi harini
Thanx for visiting!!I can have podimas as a main dish even :))

Vrinda said...

Thanx for visiting my blog Ramya..u hav agreat blog with nice layout..great recipe with plantain,never tried plantain this way..bookemarked it,thanx for sharing..

PranisKitchen said...

potato podimads looks delicious. once my tamil friend prepared this for us .we realy loved it and became grt fan of this dish..very simple an tasty one my hus favorite too