Saturday, December 31, 2011
Making popcorn is not that hard.Once you get the hang of it,you would never go back to the store bought popcorn.
Popcorn kernels - 1/3 cup
Corn oil - 3 Tbsp
Salt as required
Season salt - 1 tsp(You can use seasoning of your choice like cayenne pepper,chat masala,ground pepper.The variations are endless)
Heat the oil in a large in a large pan with lid.Add salt and 3 kernels to the oil.If they start spinning,add the remaining kernels in one layer and turn the heat to medium..Cover the pan with a lid leaving a gap for the steam to escape.Once they start popping,take the pan away from the stove and shake with the lid closed and continue till you hear no more popping.Remove from heat and transfer to another bowl and add your favorite seasoning.
Friday, December 30, 2011
This recipe is taken from chow.com .This is definitely a keeper.Its more of a brownie for grown-ups as it is not so sweet.
- Bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) - 6 ounces(I used Nestle's semisweet chocolate chips)
- Unsalted butter (1 stick) - 8 tablespoons
- Large eggs, at room temperature - 2
- sugar - 1 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder 1 Tablespoon
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- 1 teaspoon brewed espresso (optional)(I didn't use it)
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon fine salt(I used only a pinch)
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until evenly melted. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, espresso (if using), and salt in a large bowl and briefly stir until just evenly incorporated. Add the cooled chocolate and mix until uniform in color. Add the flour and stir until just incorporated (no white streaks should remain).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake until a tester inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with few crumbs clinging and not totally clean like while baking cakes.A nice crust will form on the top and the brownies will start puling away from the sides.It took about 40 minutes for me but the original recipe says to bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting.
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Ive been neglecting this space of mine for almost 6 months.I feel sooo bad about it:-(Some readers sent email enquiring about me and thanks a ton for that.
But during these days Ive tried new recipes and even took pictures.I hope to keep my blog going on atleast in 2012:-)
I tried this MW therattipaal and its very close to the stove top recipe.
Full fat sweetened condensed milk - 1 tin(14oz)
Curd - 2TBSP
Ghee - 2tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Mix all the ingredients in a wide,deep Microwave safe bowl.Microwave for 5 minutes.Then stir again and microwave for another 2 minutes.Altogether my cooking time was 13 minutes(5+2+2+2+1).But keep an eye on it because the contents may overflow.When it starts to soldify,add the ghee and cardamom powder and allow to stand for 1 minute.